Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Finding your inspiration

Have you found yourself going back and forth on paint colors or ideas for rooms?

I went to home depot and literally picked out 79 colors. Mostly whites, greys and some pinks.  I'm sure you're thinking right now, "she's exaggerating, no one takes home 79 paint swatches". It was a lot of paint swatches. 



But in the end I couldn't pick a color because I really didn't know where I wanted to go with the room.

Have you been in this place before?

Needing inspiration, but coming up empty.

Nursery

Picturing how it will all turn out but not loving the end product in your mind?

That's how I felt with my daughters room.

nursery

One of my road blocks is that we are putting our house back on the market in April. And as much as I hate to admit it, I do make wall paint decisions hoping that the colors are neutral enough and don't turn anyone off.

nursery

One of my issues when I was picturing the room was boring-ness, un-funness, not Kennedy friendly enough.

nursery

So we went to the store and Kennedy picked out this really cute owl pillow, and I really liked the crib sheet that went with it. From there, it was amazing. We went to a couple different stores, and it was AMAZING how it all started coming together. 

So my advice on how to find your inspiration is get out there and go shopping! I have been playing for weeks online with lack luster excitement.

Pinterest is amazing, and inspiring, but it leaves you sitting with lots of pins and sometimes no motivation or time, or energy to get up and go.

I definitely shop online, but touching and feeling and comparing is part of the amazing part of designing. Its hard to compare two items when they are on different sites sometimes.

 So if you are feeling like you need that inspiration, GET OUT THERE AND SHOP. That's it. Walk away from the computer, put down the magazine, don't you dare pin another item, and go and walk around a store, touch things, imagine things, let your design voice out


All of these pictures can be found here on my pinterest board.
And just so we are clear, these images and rooms are amazingly inspiring.



6 comments:

  1. i agree! sometimes you have to find that jumping off point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so looking forward to seeing Kennedy's room. I want to re-do my little girls room she just turned 2 1/2. I know you will give me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really need to see and touch things before I can make a decision on whether or not to buy it. I get the most inspired when I'm out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definately good advice - I agree that sitting at the computer can only go so far. Really looking forward to seeing what you do with your daughter's room !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree . . . Sometimes pinterest just confuses me more! We've had about 20 paint swatches taped to the wall in our bedroom for weeks now . . . I need to get on that pronto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving Pinterest too over here, but you are so right. It's so overwhelming! I see so many great ideas but it's so hard to find the time to do any of them when I spend all my free time on Pinterest, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your support, I always comment back or send follow up emails. Don't forget to become a follower if you havent already.